Friday 20 June 2014

Navigating a critical incident through a lens of reflexivity


Sandra Shaffi


Within this presentation I will show how reflexivity has supported me in my navigation through a critical incident (Halquist and Musanti 2010) within my study. It demonstrates how I began to make sense of data through a more critical scrutiny and interpretation in both my data collection and analysis. As my study is essentially employing a critical approach to the engagement and perceptions of student voice and equality within the participation of such, I have shown reflexivity to be not only a tool for ensuring that validity is addressed but also that the emancipatory aims of the research are realised and communicated. In this way I concur with McCabe and Holmes (2009), in their study on reflexivity from a Foucauldian perspective, that to view reflexivity as merely a means of ensuring validity in qualitative research somewhat limits the researcher’s ability to highlight subtle changes that comprise emancipation.


I had reached a stage in my research when I had become disillusioned with the findings of my study; there did not appear to be any specific directions on which I could frame my discussions. I considered this to be a ‘critical incident’ as described by Schon (1987) as a problematic situation that presents itself as a unique case and promotes reflection. We are reminded by Guillemin and Gillam (2004) that research invites an opportunity for knowledge construction and it is whilst recognising this that I became aware that I would use this critical incident as a stimulus for reflexive practice and in order to do this.

This presentation shows how I utilised reflexive practice to focus my data collection through further engagement with literature, engaging with memo writing and following a decision trail in order to map my journey throughout the research process. Further, I have shown how goal setting has enabled me to progress in a more positive way which reflects emancipatory actions seen as vital within qualitative research. Finally, I have highlighted my intention to engage in an auto ethnographic approach whereby I will apply my own personal narratives to locate myself within the research (Du Preez 2008), and share my experiences in a bid to draw out knowledge which reflects the perceptions and experiences of the participants.


References

Du Preez, J. (2008). Locating the researcher in the research: Personal narrative and reflective practice.  Reflective Practice: International and Multidisciplinary Perspectives. 9 (4) 509-519
Guillemin, M and Gillam, L. (2004) Ethics, reflexivity and critically important moments in research. Qualitative Inquiry 10 (2) 261-280
Halquist, D. and  Musant, S. (2010) Critical incidents and reflection: turning points that challenge the researcher and create opportunities for knowing. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education. 23 (4) 449-461
McCabe, J.L. and Holmes, D. (2009) Reflexivity, critical qualitative research and emancipation: A Foulcaudian perspective. Journal of Advanced Nursing 1518-1526
Schon, D.A. (1987) Educating the Reflective Practitioner. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass